Monday, January 29, 2007

A lot to read about not a lot of stuff

Last Thursday I was assigned my first real project. I had done a couple of really simple things before it, like getting some high-res skyscraper photos, but nothing that really used any sort of artistic talent or anything. But my first real project was some pretty simple rotoscoping stuff.

Or so I thought. I went in about noon on Friday, thinking I could bust it out in a few hours. Little did I know that I had to knock off about 16 layers of rust that had built up over the past 6 months in the oilfield. Friday was spent with my head banging against the wall, and getting almost nowhere. I was really tired and in a pretty bad mood, but I was supposed to go to a concert later. I was not about to go back to Sherman Oaks, then drive all the way back to Hollywood so I just kept working until about 7. More on the concert later.

I come in today, after completely worrying about getting this shot done all fucking weekend. I even came in early. Within like 20 minutes, I retrack the shot, and everything comes out near perfectly. I clean it up, and I'm already done with half of it. The half I spent all day Friday on. All day Friday. I felt so freaking dumb. It was a productive day though.

Friday I went with some coworkers to go see a bunch of bands I hadn't ever heard of. The one I was there to "see" was Natives of the New Dawn. The lineup was Slinky, Natives of the New Dawn, Ghost, and Swampa Z. Z. I can't even explain how Natives or Swampa sounded. They were just so different that if I explain how they sounded you would tell me that it doesn't exist. Hell, Tommy told me I was lying to him.

Natives was like this weird combination of funk, hip hop, jazz, and a whole lot of rock. They were a bunch of white guys. Their keyboardist was like this real chubby guy with a beard and shaggy curly hair. And you would never expect the sounds that come out of his mouth. This dude could fucking sing. Their lead guy was a redheaded dude with a beard, gauged ears, and glasses. But the dude could flow.

And Swampa Z. Z. was crazy too! They're from Hawaii and were like hip hop and rock and ska and tons of stuff, but with this definite Hawaiian vibe to them. They did this really long 80's medley of just a ton of songs, but they all had their weird hip-hop hawaiian feel to them. They were really really fucking good.

Slinky was like this basic ska band, but they were all really talented. And only 15. They made me sad that I own a guitar. Their singer looked like my little brother.

Ghost sucked. Really generic white rapper.

And that's all I got for now. That's a lot to read.

No comments: