Saturday, January 20, 2007

My internship

Well, a couple of people have asked how I like the internship, and I've finally decided to sit down and post about it. I've been there for a week now, and worked 3 days.

My intern orientation was last Wednesday, where I got to meet all the other interns, and one of the owners of the company, and a couple of other people. There were 6 of us, and I think over half of them were going back to school after the internship. This is awesome, because that raises my chances of getting hired. We got a little tour, signed some paperwork (woohoo NDA!), and then I was done for the day. We only work two days a week, and Wednesday is not my day.

They also told us that we'd be doing nothing but answering phones our first two days on the job. Well, that just didn't happen. I also got a gigantic scare that morning.

The night before, Callie tells me I should probably leave around 8:30, if I want to get there before 10. So I set my alarms for 8, and head to bed. I wake up at 6. Sit there for a bit, and look at my clock. "Oh yes, it's only 6, more sleep for me," I think to myself. I go back to sleep, and wake up again. Look at the clock. Look at it again. It's 8:57. Holy. Shit. I freak out, jump out of bed, run brush my teeth, throw some clothes on, and head out the door. Traffic is of course terrible, and on the way there, my gas light turns on. I eventually do make it there around 9:35.

I go in, and instead of sitting on my ass and answering phones all day, I'm told to grab some coffee and a bagel, and grab my keys because I'm going on a run. I didn't have to go too far, but I didn't answer the phones in the slightest bit all day. I painted sticks and ping pong balls with another guy from Texas named Shawn, and made a new friend. Ate lunch a little while later, and then printed stuff out.

The day went by really fast and I met a metric fuckton of people. Just introduced myself to everyone I could.

It's generally a pretty laid back atmosphere. And there's a kitchen. It is the strangest feeling having a kitchen at a workplace where my parents don't own it. Because we had a kitchen at Su Casa, but I was working for my parents, so I didn't feel awkward eating out of it. But now that it's someone else's kitchen, it feels really weird. It took me pretty much all 3 days to be able to eat anything out of there. Like the first day when I was told to grab a bagel, I just grabbed some coffee. Even though there were bagels already out, ready for my consumption.

I'll try and post more as time goes on, but I can't really promise anything. I will promise a picture of the place soon though. I'll take one with my phone.

Hopefully I'll kick a lot of ass and get a job quicker than anticipated. That'd be awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds nice

Anonymous said...

Son, Life is what you make of it, right now you are just trying to figure out what you want, that will come in time. As far as the unpacking thing, that is where you need some serious help. The sleeping late is an Austin thing, I bet it won't happen anymore. Lifes little lessons, God sends them to you daily. Love you and miss you. Dad